- Different woods exhibit different moisture stability.
- According to experts wood fibres are dimensionally stable when the moisture content is above fibre saturation points i.e. above 30%. But it experiences a disrupts in dimensions or swells if moisture content tends to show an increase or decrease phenomenon.
- According to Surveys and Studies carried out by ASI- Archaeological Survey of India, it is believed that 'ebony's wood' was used in the construction of foundation and the reference to the same can be found in many books on historical monument.
- One more precise but extremely technical detail that was put to use in wooden foundation is that -"it is only the combined action of water and air present in environment that's deteriorate the wood. Neither of them alone have the capacity enough to deteriorate wood by virtue of their action.
- Wooden part of foundation lies well below the river Yamuna and it is the secret that wood used therein is still have the necessary strength or bearing capacity to carry on the weight of Superstructure-Taj Mahal.
- If we talk w.r.t Hindu Science of Elements- Ebony is the only wood known to have Elemental Association with all the five elements-air, water,earth,fire and sky.
- Also, since Ebony has a very high density its easily sink in water.